Skip to main content

Excuse Editor's 12 Edits of Christmas


It's the holidays! We shouldn't even think about our writing now, right? Wrong. There may be no better time of year for your writing than right now.

1.Better to Give than to Receive
This time of year you think about generosity toward others. But what about the characters in your novel? Don't they deserve some time and attention as well? Add them to your list. Give them a gift of a new setting or plot twist.

2.Home for the Holidays
 You may be looking forward to time spent with your family for the holidays. Or it may be driving you back to the egg nog again and again. Either way, pay attention. Take a step back. Let the writer in you describe the emotions. What words best describe the feeling in the room when the joyful toddler shreds the wrapping paper. What about when that one crazy cousin digs up a past event best left buried? Later, alone with your pen, a memoir might surface, or a character may discover a secret.

3.Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus
Surround yourself in the Magic. Rediscover your child-like sense of wonder and hope and let it guide your writing. There was a time when you believed one night was long enough for one person to bring smiles to millions of kids. Ignore your adult defined limitations for a while and believe that the time you have is more than enough to build your own creation.

4. A Christmas miracle
You have been given a gift. A calling to create. Follow your star. Have faith in your own daily miracle of creation.

5.Deck the Halls
The foundation has already been laid. You have drafts piling up as high as the snow drifts outside-- short stories, poems, your novel, your memoir. Pour a cup of hot chocolate and start reading. What can you do to spruce up your story? What do you need to rearrange to make it feel more like the season of your story?

6.Dashing through the snow
 Spending hours in the car, bus, plane, airport? Perfect. Pull out that notebook and write. Unless you are driving (or piloting), of course. Airport delays? You have no excuse not to write then. There are only so many Cinnebon's you can eat.

7. New Year's Resolutions
 Let me guess, you resolve to "get healthy", or some variation. Make sure to have healthy goals for your writing, as well. Make them more specific: instead of "write more" say, "Write at least five pages (or hours, etc) a week".

8.Kwanzaa
 Do you know much about this holiday? I don't. Let the season be a reminder that there is always so much to learn and so many different ways to view the world. Research a place you've never been and use it as a setting. Try to take on the point of view foreign to your own.

9.Charge it!
As you spend your hard earned cash this season, consider a few things. If you want to write for a living, or for a supplemental income, are you doing all you can? Do you keep a continuous stream of submissions and queries active? Do you focus on paying markets, or at least those that will give you enough recognition that it will be worth writing for free? Are you willing to give yourself a Christmas bonus this year: time and supplies to better reach your writing goals?

10.Fruitcake
Don't let any of your unwanted Christmas gifts or rejection dampen your spirits. Enthusiasm causes expectations to be high, with the holidays and your writing. You thought it would all turn out perfect, and then, you get a negative critique or a "sorry, not for us" note. Just realize, it is part of the tradition. Set the chilly rejection to the side and move on. Spring will be here before you know it.

11.Rudolf
 Maybe you are worried that your writing is "too strange" for some people, that instead of seeing your work for its originality, others will view it as an invitation to ridicule. They may. But, at some point, someone may see the worth in your imagination, and decide that more need to experience your ability to shine the light in a new way.

12.Peace and Joy
Finally, allow the season to remind you that the stress, heartache, and costs associated with writing are necessary struggles to get to the ultimate goal: a feeling of peace and joy with your writing. Just like that crazy uncle you have to deal with once a year, the one who drives you bonkers but you love anyway, your sometimes misbehaving writing means well. You can't help loving it and will continue to honor it as such.

What are your favorite holiday stories? These may not be the same ones found on the TV year after year. Maybe they're the ones that are told around the kitchen table, the dishwasher humming in the background, while your loved ones sit with bloated bellies and just one more piece of pie, talking about the time Grandma tried her first margarita and missed Midnight Mass. Or the Christmas after Grandpa's stroke, when he fell down hard because he refused to use a walker, and yet still managed a snappy retort: "I don't need a walker, I need a parachute!"

Writing is a way to keep memories alive, no matter what the season. So make it a part of your holiday tradition. You'll be grateful you recorded the musings of a loved one, or the disposition of your mind when you wrote that short story.

Have a blessed holiday.


P.S. Miss you, Gramma and Grampa...

Comments

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically