Skip to main content

Money and a Room of One's Own

I caught the writing bug as a kid. Jackson Elementary allowed its students to create their own little books for other kids to check out. As a third grader, my books were published almost weekly. I was sure I would be a real author when I grew up.

Instead, I went to college and focused on business—more realistic. I would get back to writing when I had more time, a computer, and (insert excuse here). I had to concentrate on paying my bills. When a co-worker said to me, “You should buy a house,” I thought she was crazy.

My paychecks were small, and I had no savings in the bank. My co-worker and her husband had just bought a beautiful house, but they had two incomes.

She referred me to ‘her guy’. He had taken the news of their credit card debt and their limited savings in stride and worked his magic. My Great American Novel wasn’t forthcoming, maybe a different American Dream miracle was.

I called the wizard mortgage broker, and recited my wishes.

Two bedrooms, at least.

A garage.

Two bathrooms would be nice.

Oh, and I wanted the mortgage to be the same or less than the rent I paid on my tiny one bedroom apartment.

When he stopped laughing, he asked me for some financial information so he could check my credit. “I’ll be able to let you know where you stand, and we’ll take it from there.”

Later, he called me back. He really liked my credit report.

“As a matter of fact,” he said, “You can qualify for much more than what you think. You could get a bigger house, and get a roommate to pay half of your mortgage.”

I thought about that for a half of a second.

The last time I had roommates was in college. I remember struggling to get papers written, books read. How would I be able to write my masterpieces with such distractions?

So, no roommate. I focused on humble, cheaper places.

I called my realtor to show me a small condo. I was drawn to the guest bedroom. It had vaulted ceilings and a window next to a big, leafy tree. Airy and bright, it was a perfect place to find my muse.

I bought it.

Over the next few years, I created the ultimate bachelorette pad. The condo now had Pergo floors and a white cat. I finally bought a computer; however, I spent more time on dating websites than in Word.

That’s how I met the man I eventually married (last year).

He lived in a different state, and he wouldn’t dream of moving away from his two kids. Within a few months, we knew we wanted to be together. I didn’t want to miss out. It was as close as I had ever come to an epiphany. I put the condo up for sale.

I eventually sold it for a healthy profit. I took the money and ran: to my new love. I was able to buy a nice house; it became our new home.

I turned one of the three bedrooms into an office. I thought the light from the large window made it the perfect place to write. I imagined watching butterflies pass the window while I thought of the next perfect phrase.

Instead, it became the cubicle away from the office. At the time, I still worked, online, for the same company I had been with for nine years. Instead of writing, I was reading work email or checking on shipments after office hours.

And then, after almost a year in the new house, I was laid off.

When the initial panic subsided, I realized that it would be fine. I had saved the condo profits for a rainy day…

My personal stormy season, filled with these ‘rainy days’, has served me well. By the time the monarch butterflies migrated past my window that fall, I had a few small pieces published. I use the computer in my office to budget my savings and to submit my work. Because of the condo money, I haven’t had to rush back into a job that’s just paying the bills, I can choose work I enjoy and that enhances my writing. The advice of a co-worker who was unaware of my dreams helped me to get what Virgina Woolf said all women need in order to write: “money and a room of one’s own”.

How do you feel about the Woolf quote, specifically, the money part: Do you need money to write? Or do you believe if you write well enough, you will make enough money?

Comments

  1. Great article, Tina. Life is what you make of it and so is a room and a dollar. Writer's write and they get it done one way or another. I've been writing all my life if you count (and I do) the years I spent crawling around the floor of my bedroom making up stories for my plastic critter characters to play out. It's something I was born wanting to do, as it sounds like you were. It's wonderfully helpful to face our "excuses" though, those things that we allow to keep us from getting the words down and the stories out. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically