Skip to main content

Reality Check: 5 Tough Truths about the Writing Life

Image: Francesco Marino / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
The Writer's Life is sometimes glorified and envied by those who don't have the drive to write, or who wouldn't even consider it because they feel they are lacking some mystical factor that would allow them entry into the Writing World. Those who do venture in with unrealistic expectations (ie. "I so identify with Carrie Bradshaw--I could be a rich writer just like her!") are likely to come face to face with a "War and Peace"-sized hit of reality.

Instead of setting yourself up for failure, be aware of what it takes to be a Writer with a capital W. Here are some of the (possibly not-so-pleasant, depending on your attitude) truths about the writing life you should prepare for.

 
Writing is Work, A Lot of Work

I hope you are one of those writers that has copious words dripping of your fingertips and onto the awaiting screen so fast you can't keep up. If you are not, then you have the challenge of creating something out of nothing, and some days, all you are grabbing onto is the Nothing. Even if the writing part comes easy, you still have to deal with "what comes next" in the writing life: making time to write, editing, finding places to submit your work, marketing, etc.

Decide what kind of writer you are going to be, and act like it. If your goal is to support yourself financially with your writing, plan for that. Do you have the money to keep you going until your writing starts to pay off? Are you willing to sacrifice to make it happen? If you are working another job in the meantime, are you prioritizing your writing time appropriately? There is nothing wrong with deciding to write as a hobby, or just as a way to share your creations, but even then, schedule time for it. So writing is not the thing you are hoping makes you rich or famous, but it's still a passion that you have, and you owe it to yourself to honor your dreams.

 Writing can make you Worry

Rejection is as common to the writing life as ants are to a picnic. Are you ready to put your heart and soul into something only to have a faceless editor somewhere tell you it's not good enough? Are you confident enough not to over-think a "not for us at this time" rejection, and humble enough to take a helpful critique to heart? Prepare yourself, build up your armor.



There may be times when you write yourself into a corner, causing you to worry that you have been wasting your time. Be ready to scrap a whole day's or week's (or more) worth of writing because it's not working. The trick is to honor your "scrap pile." Like it or not, it was a place you had to go through to arrive at your destination (kind of like that crowded, hot flight you took to make it to the beach). Don't bury those scraps too deep, though, you may discover down the line that they can be useful after all.

 Failure can Cost You

Rejections can wear on your soul, no matter how prepared you are. The time and effort spent on your writing can chip away at your self worth if you are continuously giving without feeling you are getting back anything in return. Make sure you can afford the losses. Build up your Writing Defense fund with gratitude for what you have achieved, joy for the miracle of creativity, and perseverance so you will keep trying.


 Being a Writer = Being your own Boss? Not Exactly.

You are in complete control of those glorious first stages of a writing project. You get to decide the pacing, the characterization, maybe even the overwhelmingly sad ending. If you keep it for yourself, you don't have to relinquish any control--you've decided how much time you are giving it and exactly the direction it will go. But once you decide to share your work, your grip on it starts to loosen a bit.


Sharing your work means you want an audience. Your first audience may be your writer's group. You may consider changing some of your story based on their critiques, but not always. It becomes more difficult to ignore the suggestions, or the demands, once an agent or an editor is interested in your writing. Your creativity is now a potential product, and your audience becomes its potential consumers. Are you flexible enough to find a way for your original work to fit the market? Are you brave enough to survive carving out your own niche, even if it goes against those "in the know"?



If you have decided to take some freelance writing jobs, your audience is your client, and you need to adjust your writing accordingly. This may entail writing sales copy when you would rather be finishing your sci-fi novella or editing for someone who confuses 'there, their and they're' so much you can't follow the story. Of course, keep pressing on for those dream assignments, just remember, when a job is no longer just a dream, it is more likely to be weighed down with some hefty reality (stringent word counts, no kill fee if they don't use your hard work, etc). Even Carrie Bradshaw dealt with some bad bosses when she wrote for Vogue.


Writers Make Mistakes
Guess what? Nobody is perfect. No matter how many times you've read over your submission, there still may be something you missed. You may miss a deadline, and with it your chance to break into your favorite magazine. You may send off your next-to-last-draft instead of your final draft and get a note back wondering who Jeff is and why he suddenly showed up in chapter 15.

If you are obsessed with perfection, you will get absolutely nothing done, so it is important to take action. But realize, with action comes a chance to mess something up. Will a wrong turn devastate you, or are you willing to learn from it and move on? Take one of the best things about being a writer, the ability to create, and compose a new story for the day after the mistake. It's all up to you, as long as you keep trying.


Hopefully these warning signs are enough to keep you vigilant in your writing pursuits, but not scary enough to make you turn around. Buckle your seatbelt and enjoy the ride!






Comments

  1. Seatbelt buckled and I think it's too late to get out of the car now. Seriously, these are good reminders even for those of us who faced up to the realities a while ago. I'm sick of being faced with writers who don't edit and think it's going to be easy to get their first draft published. They should all read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a profession for people who feel called to it... for them, they really can't do much else.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically