Skip to main content

Remaining Thankful for Your Writing

Image: Felixco, Inc. / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Many of us spent last Thursday creating a masterpiece. It may have taken hours and hours to prepare and get "just right"-- and when it came down to sharing, it seemed to be gone in a snap! The hope we have for the perfect Thanksgiving feast is the same as writers have for their work: all of the attention, thought and care that went into its creation will be met with enjoyment, satisfied smiles, expressions of praise and maybe even the illusion that its creation was effortless.



Create work you are thankful for:
  • Add your Secret Recipe-- Your writing style is your own. There will always be rules and debates over the stuffing/dressing elements of writing, but remember that, after the basics, you will be proud that you made it unique by adding a bit of your own special spices.

  • Blend, Boil, and Beat those words--You may get burned along the way, but it will be worth it in the end. Some of the best tasting food takes multiple steps and goes through many changes until it is complete. Your writing is the same way. No one knows, or cares, that the delicious dessert once looked like a Swamp Blob or that your first draft dropped three plot lines making it as comprehensible as a monkey teaching quantum physics. All that matters is the final product. It's good, and it makes your readers (and you) smile.

The days after Thanksgiving are typically filled with family, shopping, and leftovers. The time after releasing your recent masterpiece is similar. Don't let yourself be overwhelmed! Take a few breaths and these tips to make it through:
  • Your Writing Family--Share the word with those already close to you. Post links (not just mentions, make it easy! You don't make Aunt Ida take the city bus after she's just made two flight layovers to get to you, right?) to where your work is available on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn. Stay in touch in other ways as well. Letters are always nice. Of course you mention your new work in your e-mail newsletter. If you haven't started an e-mail newsletter, this may be a good time to begin. You don't need to be limited to the family you have now; in the writing world, it's best to grow your family as big as possible.

  • Shop, but don't drop!-- After Thanksgiving shopping is about the bargains, but too much of a good deal can get out of hand. I realized this the first time I visited a Dollar Store. I was so excited that THIS is just $1, and THAT was just $1, that I ended up spending about 100 bucks. Months later, I realized that much of the stuff purchased on that trip was still sitting in a junk drawer, unused. Don't let this happen to the bargains you find to market your writing. Most e-mail newsletter providers let you try their service free for 30 days. Use those 30 days to your advantage. You are not going to know whether to keep the service if you don't spend the time figuring out how to use it and testing it a bit. Did you get a great rate on some business cards or bookmarks to promote your book? They are doing no good sitting at your desk! Hand them out-- networking meetings, book groups, writing groups and at your book signings (they may not get your book that day, but they may later, or will be able to pass it on).

  • Turn your leftovers into something special-- My inbox is filled with new and exciting ways to prepare the turkey now living in Tupperware in my fridge. One of the pics showed some shredded turkey in a tortilla of sort, reminding me of a great green chile salsa I bought this year. Hmmm. I may be able to throw something together. When you are writing, you may have set aside a storyline, a character, or an essay idea because it wasn't the right time. Now may be time to retrieve it from the back corner of the fridge in your mind-- it could work perfectly with something now, making it seem fresh all over again. Always keep a file of ideas or phrases/paragraphs/chapters that you've set aside. They may work for something in the future. But remember, some of your ideas may have a short shelf life. If your idea is particularly timely, write it when you think of it, otherwise it may not be so good the next time you open it up!


Just because Thanksgiving has passed, don't forget to count your "writing" blessings. Every moment you give yourself time to be creative is a gift; first to yourself, and later, to others, if you so choose. Here's to collecting many gifts in the coming month, and beyond!

Comments

Post a Comment

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically