Skip to main content

Direct Your Story

Karl Binder / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

While watching an episode of CSI one night, I realized that this kind of storytelling entails using many more elements than you would think. After all, watching TV is a place where you just kind of zone out and have the story thrust upon you, right? All of the hard work needs to be done prior to hitting your cable box, so you don't have to work at all.

For example, in this particular scene, the investigators were preparing to 'do their thing' with a car--the plan was to take it apart in order to find evidence. If I would have hit 'mute' right at that time, I would not have felt the gravity of the situation. Without the music, the dialogue, the familiar characters, and the sound effects (you know, as the camera zoomed in at the crucial piece of fuzz stuck on the steering wheel), this scene would have been nothing more than some dude walking around a car with a flashlight.

Even if you are not writing a screenplay, you still need to write so that the reader's eye sees the picture-- in HD and surround sound.

Conducting the Music

We're all familiar with the alternating notes that alert the viewer to the shark in the water in Jaws. Whether or not your characters are in fear of their lives, all stories need some kind of tension. You need to use words to set the scene and move your characters forward, all the while grabbing your reader and holding them to the page. 

Your character may be trepidacious about going on her first date after a divorce--the frame is first set up with some exposition, perhaps, but to make the reader "hear" the tension, you need to add color by way of dialogue ("I can't believe you talked me into this," she says to a friend.) or by action (her inability to clasp her necklace as her hands continue to shake) or by some backstory (her husband was the only man she had ever dated). The mood and action changes with the words you choose, just as the music you choose is different depending on if you are heading to the gym, or staying in for a romantic night.

Get the Shot

When you have been writing for a while, there are times where everything that is happening on the page starts to fall in place. You may not even realize that a character you introduced in an earlier chapter was going to play such a pivotal role later on, and yet, there he is. You had been wondering how to incorporate the treasured family heirloom into a scene, and suddenly, a space is created for it.

If this happens for you, keep writing and pay attention. Visualize your story and make sure that everything that has arrived is placed just so. Be certain that any element you draw attention to makes sense in the work, especially if it isn't clear in the scene where it is introduced. A scene with a small child crying to get a toy ring  from a vending machine (and her mother giving in) may seem like just an everyday occurrence, until a later scene with the same mother frantically describing what her little girl was wearing that day when she turns up missing ("I don't know what color the ring was!")

Struggling with setting up the perfect shots/precise scenes in your work? Be comforted that, in this set, nothing has to be nailed down. You are the director and can order a retake at any time. And, unlike an actual director, if you decided to blow something up, you won't need the additional funds and tech people to do it over. You can just cut and paste, and "reshoot."

Happy Writing!

Although we want to write to convey a certain story, each reader is going to "see" your work differently. Do you purposefully leave out details so the reader can carry it along? Do you accidentally leave out details on the page, because you can see them in your mind's eye (common when taking from your own life)? I would love comments on this idea. Also, if royalties were not an issue, what song would reflect one of your pieces of writing? (I was listening to Pandora while writing this-- movie scores, of course.)

--Tina



Comments

  1. Tina: We have to be able to do it. After all we dream. How amazing is it that in a nano second, whilst asleep even, we design a scene, the lighting, the weather, the characters, their ages, their faces, their clothing, their dialogue and their actions - and we do it without thinking. If we can so that semi comatosed, what can we do while awake?

    Music? My novel, to The Con set in Perth Western Australia, I would play Yothu Yindi - abiriginal artists using modern and ancient traditional instruments. In fact on one of the trailers I made I did back it with a didgeridoo techno sound.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically