Skip to main content

Extinguishing Writing Excuses: New Year, New Habits

 2011.

It's here. A whole new year. You may be launching straight into your New Year's Resolutions today (or tomorrow, if you need to shake off last night's party) with pretty high expectations of what the New Year will mean for the "New You".

And why not? Starting off the new year with goals is commendable; setting goals and working at achieving them every day is even more valuable.

I'm sure many of you have resolved to improve your writing and/or your writing career in some way. Like other resolutions, there are some common pitfalls that arise when you start the Big, Life-Changing Resolution. Over 15 years ago, I resolved to quit smoking. Over 10 years ago, I actually quit. Thinking back to that time in my life, when I was chained to a habit that didn't serve me well at all, I'm reminded of the similarities of that time with my Writing Excuses.

Success Doesn't Happen Overnight

I tried to quit smoking many times. Each time, I thought it would be the last time. After all, I made the decision to quit. I stopped buying cigarettes. I would occupy my time with other things to keep my mind off of the smoking. But, eventually, I found myself back where I started, but worse, because now I was a FAILURE.

Thinking of yourself as a failure makes it difficult to want to try again. Instead of thinking of the starting and re-starting of your Great American Novel as repeated missteps, view each draft as Practice. The same idea holds true for rejections. Getting a rejection and then giving up on writing is the same as staying away from cigarettes for months or years, and then starting back with a pack a day: You've put so much work into reaching publication (idea, draft, edit, submission), you should consider your dream partially fulfilled. Many don't get that far. Don't let one bad day/rejection abolish all of that hard work. Remember, failure is not falling down, it's staying down.

Milestones May Not Live up to Expectations

A month after I quit smoking (for real), I was at the gym. I joined right around the time I quit, thinking that it would give me something to do to keep my mind off of smoking, and fend off the weight I was sure to gain from quitting (food tastes fantastic when your taste buds work!). I thought by then, I should have been able to run a mile, easy, without labored breathing or any other problems. I was a young, healthy woman! And now a NON- smoker! I shouldn't be winded!

Well, here's the thing: I was an EX-Smoker. And I am human. I shouldn't have expected my body to forget what I had put it through that quickly, and I shouldn't have believed that, just because I had started to rid myself of ONE obstacle to my health, that I would automatically turn into an athlete!

When I made the decision (for the 100th time) to write--really write-- I did feel better right away. I was finally putting words to paper, just like I had always imagined. I finally had plans which included a few markets to submit to, and an outline for a novel. My first two submissions were accepted. There! Accomplished Author! Well, not so fast. I wasn't a Non-Procrastinator, I was an Ex-Procrastinator. There were still times when I found it easier to fall back on old habits. A few published essays didn't automatically turn me into Midas of the Writing World. The rejections I started to receive were not weighed down with gold.

As you begin the new year with goals and plans for your writing to be the Best Ever, be patient with yourself. There will always be a good reason to say, "Today isn't a good day to stick to the plan." Instead of giving up, notice that you are falling back on old habits. You might delay your goal, but you can still go for it. Push yourself just an inch at a time, instead of the mile you were planning on.

Just because you take a puff doesn't mean you have to buy a whole carton!

After a while, taking those bigger leaps with your writing will be easier. It's a new year, you have a whole new slate to fill with writing goals, writing submissions and writing successes.

Happy Writing!

Share your 2011 goals here, and I will check back on your progress in a few months! Happy New Year!

--------------------------

Last year's Quick Guide to Writing Resolutions
Need a writing goal or two? Check out this month's list of contests and markets in The Scoop.

How long DOES it take for your body to recover from smoking?

How much money will you save? (Put that money towards your writing: contest fees, new computer, home office...)

Comments

  1. Thanks for the reminders..."each draft/rejection is practice...I'm an ex-Procrastinator, not a non-P...be patient with self...push an inch at a time." Need to post this list next to computer. I'm calling my 2011 goals "targets"--and the big one is WRITE EVERY DAY, no matter how much, how little. I'll try to let you know how I'm doing :-) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck, Kenda! I think "targets" is a good way to look at goals. If you "miss", at least you have done the practice of aiming and shooting, and that can only strengthen you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically