Skip to main content

3 Ways Laundry is Like Writing

Image: graur razvan ionut
One of the biggest excuses writers have for not writing as much as they would like is lack of time. Sometimes, it is not an unheard of excuse. Most of us have jobs, families, significant others, pets, television, Facebook accounts, Twitter, eating, cooking, sewing on that button that fell off that sweater last year(etc...) to attend to. There are countless tricks we can play with ourselves to sneak by these obstacles and get to the writing table (I've written about some of them before), but sometimes those obstacles become too overwhelming to ignore.

This was the case for me last weekend. I KNEW I had writing to do, but I also had laundry to do; the laundry room was becoming a physical obstacle. Thanks to modern technology, this is a good chore to do while writing. The machine does the washing while I write, the buzzer gives me a chance to stretch while I move the load into (or out of) the dryer.

And, besides, it gave me this idea for a blog post.

I'm no Heloise, so I'll forgo any specific laundry-type advice here except for the very basic: Before you start washing, separate your colors from your whites, and pay attention to those delicate clothes that need special attention. Not sure what needs special attention? Read the labels. If your only time to do laundry consists of taking a week's worth to your local laundromat, still follow the rules. Don't try to stuff everything into one machine to save a buck or two. You'll pay for it later.

Sort it out
You are a writer, a creative person. Because of this, you probably have a few (or a few hundred) ideas for writing and marketing projects rolling around at any given time. You can't do it all at once. Just like that proverbial misplaced red sock that turns your whites pink (Really, red socks? Who has red socks?), you need to keep misplaced projects out of your mind and focus. Otherwise your writing will turn into a tainted jumble of confusion. Keep your head out of the spin cycle. Work on one thing at a time, complete it, and then tackle the "red socks".

Laundromat Writing
I'm not saying you shouldn't work on more than one project at a time. Many of us have the writing or editing that pays the bills, the long-term passion project like a novel, AND a weekly blog. In this case, your writing life is a laundromat. That's fine. But when you sit down to write, stick to one "machine": one essay for your job OR one chapter for your novel. Commit to one project and see it through. Multi-tasking is just asking for trouble. You may think you are saving time bouncing back and forth between documents, but this is just like stuffing as much as you can into one machine--what comes out at the other end wasn't treated the best way so it runs the risk of being wrinkled, discolored... and in need of even more attention later.

The Delicates
This isn't just another blog post, this is your passion project, some work that you consider very special. You've spent your writer's bling (time and effort) getting it just right, and you want to make sure it doesn't fall apart. Maybe it's your novel, and you are ready to find an agent. You want to discover the publisher who will display your work in the best way, so many can admire your story. Each step will take tender loving . Treat your query letters just as precious as your final product. If you are not sure how to write a good query letter, search around and read about it (the opening pages of the Writer's Market has good examples and check out this post from Nathan Bransford). When you hear that an agent is interested, don't jump into a situation without researching the agent and his/her work fully. After all, you wouldn't throw your delicates in a machine without checking for something that could damage them, right? There could be some spaghetti in there! (OK, that's even more strange than red socks, but it's a reference to another Nathan Bransford post about Spaghetti Agents. You want to avoid these. I'm pretty sure you know not to wash your delicates in spaghetti.) Give your Precious Project the best chance to shine once it goes out into the world.

Well, I just heard the buzzing! My time for this post is up. 

What tricks do you use during your day to complete your chores and your writing?


Comments

  1. Gotta say, I'm using reading your blog as an excuse not to write this morning, or design those contact sheets for the Care Team at church. I often use laundry and housework as an excuse.

    And, I do have a pair of red socks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically