Skip to main content

Writing Conference ROI

Recently, I spent a few days at the OWFI writer's conference in Oklahoma City. As I was gathering my receipts and such, I thought about the best ways to make sure that money wasn't wasted. The next few posts will focus on The Writer's ROI (Return On Investment).

Travel expenses, Conference Fees, Hotel Fees, Food and Drink. It all adds up. Go ahead, add it up.* 

Let's say you spent $1000. Sure, you are treating your writer self, and you want to feel like you are "getting away from it all". For example, if I would have been more of an early bird this weekend, I would have loved to splurge and take advantage of the fresh-made omelet bar every morning (and maybe even a danish or two, or oooo--biscuits AND gravy). But I was there to learn about writing and marketing. I couldn't miss a session because I was waiting in line for someone to cook for me. A portion of my conference fees would be wasted! And yes, the breakfast is built in to the hotel room price, so I still made sure to take advantage. Both my waistline and my frugal sensibilities were served by a nice bowl of oatmeal (real stuff, not that 'just add water' nonsense!) and some fruit.

Would you withdraw $1000 from your bank account and drop the bills off of a bridge? Of course not (if you would, I have a bridge close to my house I would like to suggest). So, make sure that you treat the money spent on your writing self as an investment, and not just a splurge.



Splurge Mentality: "I just want to relax."
Excuse Editor Tip: Your conference is a Working Vacation
Your main goals are related to All Things Writing. You want to learn or relearn aspects of the craft. You want to network with others who can help you advance your writing and/or your writing career. You want to gain inspiration to kick-start your work if it's been lagging of late. It's not just about happy hour. It's about the people you talk to while you are sipping your drink that you may not get a chance to meet at other networking events: working writers, agents, publishers. Writing is a lonely profession?! I think not-- you are in a whole room of people on the same journey. Absorb.

Yes, it is about working on your writing, but it's also about socializing. What better way to remind yourself how great it is to be a writer than by hanging out with other writers? It's "work", but you don't need to focus on that part of it. It's also about connecting. As people. The successes and failures shared between handfuls of free popcorn become kernels of inspiration for your writing life. Enjoy.


Back to that $1000. How can you take full advantage of your conference before, during and after? Can you recoup your costs? Are you at least getting your money's worth? I'll give a few tips about maximizing your conference investment in the next few blog posts.

Until then, I have a deadline! Do you? (If not, sign up for my newsletter and get about 30 to choose from.)

*You should be keeping track of your expenses anyway; if you are a working writer, you will need all of that information when you file your tax returns.

Comments

  1. Great advice--we need to glean all we can from the conferences we go to :-) I know they've been good experiences for me. And you're so right about hanging out with other writers, they're the people who understand us the most, right? I especially liked your line: "The successes and failures shared between handfuls of free popcorn become kernels of inspiration..." I know I always come away pumped up and raring to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, that breakfast bar was soooo good. I did stand in line, but I got up early to do it so I didn't miss the start of the session.

    I also met so many wonderful people. Looking forward to next year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically