Skip to main content

Writing Lessons from "The Help" (Part 2)

The Help You often hear that writers need to develop a tough skin in order to deal with the looming rejection and criticism of the writing life. This is true, but even before you learn to cope with the reaction to your writing, you have to be brave enough to write, and then have the courage to share your writing. In this installment of writing lessons culled from “The Help”, I discuss a crucial element to the writer’s state of mind as she decides to share her heart and soul through her writing. No matter where it comes from, whether it is perfect or not, it sets you up to take the necessary risks.

Lesson Two: Confidence

Skeeter's attempt to secure an editor's position at a big-time New York publishing house without prior experience, clips, or understanding of the traditional career path may have been misguided, but it still got her foot in the door. She was young, and a hard worker in school. To her, it only made sense to apply to just one job, her dream job in New York City, a huge step closer to the ultimate dream of being a writer.

Whether she realized it or not, this was a risky move. Or it would have been, to someone who didn't have some confidence in herself. How many times have you considered an idea for a top magazine, but let the idea fade into nothingness rather than sending a query because you felt you were not yet qualified? You may not be ready yet, but if it's a great idea that you are interested in, you can GAIN experience by writing the best damn query letter ever. If it's that good, you owe it to yourself and the world to submit it. If you do this enough times, your own confidence will build--possibly not at first that you will land the assignment, but that you are brave enough to take the first step. Like Skeeter, you may come across someone willing to offer you a break. But you have to show up for the game to ever have a chance to play.

Confidence cannot shadow reality, of course. If you are still struggling with grammar, spelling, sentence structure and the like, the confidence that an agent or a publisher will help transform your big idea into a masterpiece is way off base. Take an honest look (or ask an honest critic) at your current writing. If it needs work, redirect your confidence to the task at hand: improving your skills to meet your goals.

The best way to gain confidence: Try. If you succeed, you prove that you can do it. If you fail, you prove that you can survive it.

Do something in the next week to express or build your confidence. I would love to hear about it!

Happy--and Confident!--Writing!

Tina




Comments

  1. She sure did take a risk! I'm not sure I'd have been able to lie like that just because it was so up in the air whether the maids would help or not. But she believed in her idea, and I think that confidence showed through to the maids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a journalism major in college so I have had dreams of submitting stories/pitches to a "big" magazine for ages (I won't say how long). Somehow, I always think exactly what you wrote... "I'm not ready yet." That's ridiculous! I accept your challenge to submit something in the next week. I AM ready!

    I'm currently training for a women's half marathon (my 4th) and have been reading Runner's World magazine a lot. In the process, I have thought of 2 good story ideas I should query.

    I'm posting this here for you to keep me accountable for doing so in the next week. I WILL PITCH THOSE 2 STORIES TO RUNNERS WORLD magazine.

    Next... actually sitting my butt down to write my collection of essays so I can begin the agent search. I am ready! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically