Skip to main content

Use Time to make your Writing Tick


It’s amazing what you can get done in 30 minutes.

A few weeks ago, I drove my stepson to his guitar lesson. Instead of spending my time there, losing another round of Words with Friends, I decided to try and be productive. I had a few ambitious goals for that limited time frame, but rather than think about it too much, I just waved goodbye and went about my business.
It was time for an eyebrow wax. I don’t torture myself in this particular way very often, but it really was time. I rolled the dice and drove to a salon a block or so from the guitar shop. Amanda was able to help me right away, and when the ripping and tweezing was done, I still had 15, maybe even 17,  minutes until I had to head back.

Do I dare? I had to go to the post office. The horror! As I walked in, I knew immediately I had pressed my luck. As usual, there was a line creeping along at lava’s pace. But wait, holy kiosk, Batman! I didn’t have succumb to the herd, I could weigh my envelope and get the exact postage printed for me with only a swipe of a credit card. I even stoned that other bird, checking my business P.O. Box. I am sooo productive!

With the minutes I still had to spare, I took a few notes for this blog post back in the car. I didn’t write the whole thing, of course, I’m doing that now. Besides, I had to drive back to the guitar shop. If I wouldn’t have had to take a left across a busy street, I would have been exactly on time. My stepson was ready to go, saving me from even glancing at my pitiful Words with Friends standing.

 Time is what you make of it
Sometimes the self-defeating chatterbox in my head tells me not to start something NOW, because there’s just not enough time to get anywhere with it.  When I tell myself that often enough, guess how much I get written? Nada.  Sure, sometimes getting to the writing is as pleasant as a waxing, but you will feel so much better when it’s over (You’ve heard, “I don’t like to write, I like to have written.” I’m pretty sure it’s the same with waxing).

Excuse Editor Tips:

·         Skip the “ready, set.” Just GO!  If you know you have time constraints, just force in as much as you can
 
with the time you have available. I used to give myself an hour to write a blog post. I carefully choose my words, I ponder, I edit… What I am really trying to say is: I AM SLOW. Giving myself that much time didn’t allow for any sense of urgency*. If I glanced at the clock, I still had plenty of time. Meaning, I lost momentum. Just now, I have written almost 500 words in less than 30 minutes…. Because…

·         Microsoft Word is Not a Stone Tablet.  I know I can, and will, go back and edit a bit. Not as much as I would for a submission, but enough to feel OK. OK. Not Perfect.

·         Prove Yourself Wrong. Still don’t think you can get anything worth using in 30 minutes? Or even 15? Set a timer and try it anyway. If it doesn’t work, try it again. If it does work, repeat until it doesn’t.  You watch TV, right? Think of the fullness of the stories you get in 30 minutes—actually, take out the commercials and it’s only about 22. Creativity doesn’t have to be long-winded, even if you are.

Happy Writing!

*Here’s the thing, even if the timer is set for 15 or 30 minutes, I may still take an hour to finish it. But putting that bit of pressure on myself gets me started, where the healthy cushion of time felt like a soft, comfortable pillow, just begging me to cuddle up and relax.

Is it just me? Do you use time as an excuse, only to discover you’ve wasted time making excuses?

Comments

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically