Skip to main content

Lessons from Memoir Writing

Writing is always a journey. The difference between this journey and that road trip you may take this weekend is you really you can't plan out where the road will take you. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't take it.

I started an online class a few months ago to help jump-start the memoir I had been writing in my head for the last few years. Every time I would get a few scenes written, the focus would change, and I would go back to the starting line. Again. I was hoping the class would change that. It did, eventually. It would have changed it sooner if I would have allowed myself the chance to let the lessons sink in. No matter. Even the shitty first drafts will be of some use down the line, and now I have stopped crinkling the road map and throwing it under the seat of my writer's driver's seat. Instead, I've pulled over and I'm taking a good look at where I want this book to go. More details on the to come. In the meantime, at least one big lesson I've learned: writing is therapeutic.

This may have already been something I knew, on some level. I've been keeping a diary, journal, or writing morning pages since I was in 3rd grade. Something about that must have helped my sanity. During the gaps in my writing was when I acted the most crazy, so maybe I should have been better about keeping a daily habit. Or maybe not. There's some good material in those gaps.

During a recent conference call or class, someone mentioned the scientific studies (maybe this is one) that proved that writing your truth, even when you truth consisted of the most stressful time in your life, benefited your immune system. If you wrote about the hard facts of your life for 20 minutes a day, your health could potentially improve.

Well. Hopefully I can get into a daily habit while writing my truths for this memoir. Not all of it is the "tough stuff" (studies be dammed--that sounds like it could drag a person down), but I could do with a little immunity boost. I've been fighting the same cold since my flight was delayed in Las Vegas 3 weeks ago. I'm a writer, so I should be getting all the health benefits that come from taking to the page. This weekend, I'm doubling my healthy dosage: I am attending a yoga retreat and spending an extra night for some "alone time" with my WIP.

I SHOULD be able to fend off anything this flu season sends me. Right?

Happy Writing!
--Tina

Do you feel a change in your body when you write? If it makes you feel good, do you still find yourself avoiding it at times? Do you think it's like exercising--you know it's good for you, but, it's just so hard to get started?


  • I've been learning other ways to keep my body healthy--by paying attention to what I put ON it! It's as important as what I put IN it. I started selling Pangea Organics to fund my writing project, and now it's become a passion. If you would like to try a healthy line of products that smell fantastic and work even better, and support Excuse Editor along the way, please shop here. This month, you can get a free Skincare Discovery Kit, which includes Facial Cleanser, Toner, Cream, Scrub and Mask, with any order of $80 or more (all $100+ orders get free shipping). The holidays are just around the corner. Hand Cream, Hand Soap, Lip Balm and Body Polish all make fantastic gifts. Stock up on a few, and get a Discovery Kit for yourself. Writers deserve to treat themselves. If you have any questions about Pangea Organics or how I'm using it to raise money for next year's writing conferences and more, contact me: tina (at) excuseeditor.com. You can also visit my Healthy Skin Party Facebook Page. 

Comments

  1. Tina, you inspired me to bring my private musings out and sow them into a public format. At the end of May I created a little domain, beyewhole.com, and I have been in a radical transformation since. Be ye whole is a place that I can go each Sunday to muse a thought that relates to my spiritual quest into my Kingdom Within. I am proud of myself for finding the courage to post thought in a public format. This is a big deal, for me. I am so grateful for your Light. -Zella Mai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write-up! Writing is a talent, and it must not be wasted. As with everything that we had been entrusted, we should

    let it grow and share it with the world.> writing

    ideas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically