Skip to main content

3 Writing Tips For November And Beyond


Why November was chosen to be the month writers are supposed to rally all of their energy  to work on their drafts at a Stephen King (or another prolific writer) pace is beyond me. Holidays are coming up; also it's the end of the year, which sometimes means day-job goals; and it turns chilly in many parts of the country/world--what better time to cozy up with a good book--that somebody else wrote? Instead, the folks over at Nanowrimo have shifted many  writers (or would-be writers) to believe they can write a whole novel (or nonfiction book, or a collection of blog posts, etc.) in 30 days. Since I follow blogs, Facebook pages, Twitter accounts, and Pinterest boards that are all about writing, I can't escape these messages. And the spirit is contagious. At least for the first week or so. In the spirit of Nanowrimo, WNFIN, and others, I have taken the challenge, in a way. Here's what I plan to do this month:


  • Write every day. This is not  uncommon advice, but when everybody else is trying to do the same, it acts like that pea in the princess' mattress of my mind. Have I written today? Why not? Everybody's doing it. I'm not a teenager, so peer pressure can now be used as a positive. 
  • Focus on my outline. Since this summer, I've been working exclusively on my memoir. It was originally going to be about a more recent time in my life, but once I started writing (and that writing was scattered and almost non-coherent), it became clear that I needed some direction. I stepped back from the wandering writing, and emerged with some themes--all of which originated in an earlier time in my life. With the help of my "Write your memoir in 6 months" class (which I will talk about more once I've completed the course), I created a rough map of where this thing is going. Now, when I settle into my chair every day, I know where the story is going.
  • Wake up earlier. Thank goodness for Daylight Savings. This morning was the easiest so far. I got a full night's sleep, and was still up earlier than my usual time. I am not a morning person, usually. But if I am going to get these pages written in the next month, with my goal of doing my own edits/rewrites before I send it off to a professional editor soon, I have to write before the rest of my responsibilities take priority.  
HealthySkinParty.com
Are you participating in these writing events? Please share. I plan to update my writer's page with my progress, so please stop by with any encouragement or peer pressure if I seem to be slacking! 

I can't stay at my desk all of the time, and allowing myself time to share Pangea Organics Skincare with people has helped get me out of my head-- so it's clear for takeoff when I return! It's a great way to earn money for holiday and editing expenses. If you are interested in learning more, email me at tina (at) healthyskinparty.com. In the meantime, check out how you can get $50 worth of products free this month. Click here. 

Comments

Favorites:

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Experience

The popularity of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books is beyond extraordinary. What started out as a multi- rejected book idea has turned into a multi-million dollar book empire. More than 110 million Chicken Soup for the Soul books have been sold. Many of the books have been translated to 40 different languages. I'm proud that my personal essays have been included in some of these books, and I hope to continue being a Chicken Soup contributor. My Story I thought I would share a bit about being published in these collections. I'm very happy with my Chicken Soup experiences, and part of that may be that I went into it with little expectations at first. I started with them because I had a few stories that seemed to fit what they were looking for, and I thought I had nothing to lose. Unlike some of the other markets and contests I was looking at, submitting to Chicken Soup could be done at no cost to me, and I didn't even need to worry about a postage stamp, because they ha

All the Right Ingredients to Writing Advice

Last time, I talked about people in our lives that are pretty sure they know how to be successful writers, because they spent much of their time reading. Sometimes their advice can be a blessing, sometimes just the opposite. It is the same with the plethora of advice available from other writers. Have you checked out almost every book about the writing process from your local library at one time or another? Are your shelves lined with your own copies of "the-perfect-writing-advice-that-will-get-me-published-once-and-for-all"? Are you a member of multiple online writing communities? Do you hold your breath just a little bit when waiting from the critique from that "certain someone" in your writing group? Yeah. Me too. And I don't think that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. We just have to be careful. Don't Let Too Many Cooks Create a Recipe for Disaster I love great food, I savor the tastes and textures of all kinds of cuisine; but unless I have specif

Why Ghostwriting? Guest Post by Kelly James-Enger

Is it Time to Disappear?  Why I Became a Ghost--and Why you Should, Too I never intended to become a ghostwriter. After all, why would I spend months of my life toiling away on someone else’ s book? No thanks. I only wanted to write my own books, and that’s what I did. I soon found, however, that the life of a book author wasn’t quite what I’d envisioned. I was working long hours, yet making less money than I had before, when I wrote only articles. The reason was simple—the time I spent promoting my books left me less time to write articles and other books, which cut into my income.             Fortunately for me, I was approached by a nutrition expert about coauthoring her book. I found I enjoyed collaborating with her, but the real payoff came when we finished the manuscript. As the author, she now had to start promoting it—but I was all done! That was enough for me. I decided to pursue coauthoring and ghostwriting, and “my” next book was ghostwritten for a client. (Typically